Rachel’s Challenge

Kayla Lohman

Students learn about the power of positivity and kindness.

When the school gathered in the auditorium on Tuesday, December 5, many students were expecting the assembly to be another typical anti-bullying presentation.   However they soon realized that this time it was going to be different.

The speaker at the assembly introduced herself as Dee Dee, and she began with an explanation of what the assembly was going to be about. Called “Rachel’s Challenge,” the assembly took its name from Rachel Scott, the first person killed in the Columbine High School shooting on April 20, 1999. DeeDee, a friend of the Scott family, told a little bit about Columbine, however the presentation wasn’t intended to be about the terrible event itself. Instead, it focused the lessons to be learned from it.

Rachel Scott was a bright and inspiring person who believed that one act of kindness could start a chain reaction and affect millions of people’s lives. She kept a diary where she detailed all of her thoughts, hopes, and dreams, and she knew that one day she would have an impact on the world. After her death, her parents read through all of her diaries and began to share the wonderful thoughts and ideas that she had written there.

A lot of Rachel’s ideas mentioned starting a chain reaction, and how one small act of kindness could make a huge impact on someone’s life. In one of her journals she wrote, “Compassion is the greatest form of love humans have to offer. I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.”

The purpose of the Rachel’s Challenge Assembly was to encourage us to change the atmosphere of our school by following Rachel’s five challenges:

1. Look for the best in others.
  2. Dream big.
  3. Choose positive influences.
  4. Speak with kindness.
  5. Start your own chain reaction.

If everyone at school tried to change their habits and embrace these challenges,  our school could become a better place for all students to learn and grow.